All Free Library of Philadelphia Branch, Regional and Central Libraries
Closed Effective Close of Business October 2, 2009
All Free Library of Philadelphia Customers,
We deeply regret to inform you that without the necessary budgetary legislation by the State Legislature in Harrisburg, the City of Philadelphia will not have the funds to operate our neighborhood branch libraries, regional libraries, or the Parkway Central Library after October 2, 2009.
Specifically, the following will take effect after the close of business, October 2, 2009:
- All branch and regional library programs, including programs for children and teens, after school programs, computer classes, and programs for adults, will be cancelled
- All Parkway Central Library programs, including children programs, programs to support small businesses and job seekers, computer classes and after school programs, will be cancelled. We are exploring the possibility of relocating the Philadelphia Author Series programs to other non-library facilities.
- All library visits to schools, day care centers, senior centers and other community centers will cease.
- All community meetings at our branch and regional libraries, and the Parkway Central Library, will be cancelled.
- All GED, ABE and ESL programs held at Free Library branches will be discontinued, students should contact their teacher to see if other arrangements are being made.
In addition, all library materials will be due on October 1, 2009. This will result in a diminishing borrowing period for books and other library materials, beginning September 11, 2009. No library materials will be able to be borrowed after September 30, 2009.
Even as we remain hopeful that the State Legislature will act and pass the enabling funding legislation, we wanted to notify all of our customers of this very possible outcome. If you have any questions about impacts to Free Library services, call 215-686-5322, or visit the Free Library of Philadelphia website at www.freelibrary.org. If you have questions about changes to City services, or if you want to be kept informed about this situation, we encourage you to contact Philly 311 by calling 3-1-1 between the hours of 8am and 8 pm Monday-Friday, and 9am-5pm Saturdays, e-mail email@example.com, or visit the City of Philadelphia website at http://www.phila.gov.
We thank you for your understanding, patience, and continued support of the Free Library of Philadelphia during these difficult times.
Siobhan Reardon, President and Director, Free Library of Philadelphia
List of current book drop locations (click on link for additional information):
- Andorra Branch- 705 East Cathedral Road
Philadelphia, PA 19128-2106
- Bushrod Branch - 6304 Castor Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19149-2731
- Bustleton Branch - 10199 Bustleton Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19116-3718
- Charles Santore Branch - 932 South 7th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147-2932
- Chestnut Hill Branch - 8711 Germantown Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19118-2716
- David Cohen Ogontz Branch - 6017 Ogontz Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19141
- Eastwick Branch - 2851 Island Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19153-2314
- Falls of Schuylkill Branch - 3501 Midvale Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19129-1633
- Fox Chase Branch - 501 Rhawn Street
Philadelphia, PA 19111-2504
- Fumo Family Branch - 2437 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19148-3508
- Independence Branch - 18 S. 7th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19106
- Joseph E. Coleman Northwest Regional Library - 68 West Chelten Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19144-2795
- Katharine Drexel Branch - 11099 Knights Road
Philadelphia, PA 19154-3516
- Lucien E. Blackwell West Philadelphia Regional Lib - 125 South 52nd Street
Philadelphia, PA 19139- 3408
- Northeast Regional Library - 2228 Cottman Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19149-1297
- Overbrook Park Branch - 7422 Haverford Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19151-2995
- Roxborough Branch - 6245 Ridge Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19128-2630
- South Philadelphia Branch - 1700 South Broad Street
Philadelphia, PA 19145-2392
- Thomas F. Donatucci - 1935 Shunk Street
Philadelphia, PA 19145-4234
- Torresdale Branch - 3079 Holme Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19136-1101
- Walnut Street West - 201 South 40th Street
Philadelphia, PA 19104
- Welsh Road Branch - 9233 Roosevelt Boulevard
Philadelphia, PA 19114-2205
- West Oak Lane Branch - 2000 Washington Lane
Philadelphia, PA 19138-1344
- Wynnefield Branch - 5325 Overbrook Avenue
Philadelphia, PA 19131-1498
We regret to inform you that until the state legislature passes the necessary budgetary legislation, no new holds will be accepted after 11:00 p.m. on Thursday, September 10, 2009. All existing holds will be suspended on Wednesday, September 23, 2009. The last hold pickup notices will be sent on Wednesday, September 23, 2009, with a final pick up date of Monday, September, 28, 2009. Visit our catalog
Effective September 10, 2009, no Interlibrary Loan orders will be processed. We regret to inform you that until the state legislature passes the necessary budgetary legislation, we cannot fulfill requests for materials from other institutions. If you place a new request, it will be put on hold until operations return to normal. We are very sorry for this inconvenience. Visit the Interlibrary Loan
Content managed by the Office of Human Resources 215-686-5308