Houses on East Pine Street

Item Info

Item No: pdcl00041
Title: Houses on East Pine Street
Additional Title: South side of Pine Street, between 2nd and 3rd Streets
Historic Street Address: Pine Street, 200 block
Historic Street Address: Pine Street, 224
Media Type: Albumen Prints
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes: "These houses in the 200 block of Pine Street stood just around the corner from the market houses on 2nd Street. The center house, No. 224, was built in 1764 by John Stamper, mayor of Philadelphia in 1759, and was occupied successively by William Bingham, Stamper's son-in-law; Rev. Robert Blackwell, rector of St. Peter's Church (No. 45), who lived there until 1831; and the family of the great banker Thomas Willing. The house ultimately fell prey to commerce and was taken down, along with the other houses in the photograph, around 1930. These houses have been replaced by new ones of Colonial design, and a lane called Stamper-Blackwell Walk has been cut part way through the block from Pine Street from a point at the left in the photograph. The lane turns left at right angles into 2nd Street, probably through what was the innyard of the old Plough Tavern (No. 44)."--OPEP, p. 45.
Notes: Three brick row homes with street lamp on sidewalk and streetcar tracks on Pine.
Bibliography: Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.

Creation Year: ca. 1860
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.145426
Geocode Latitude:39.943104