Facilities Superintendent, The Rosenbach: Full-time Permanent
Department: Administration – Rosenbach
Reports to: Director of Operations
Salary: $35,000 annually, non-exempt
About The Rosenbach
The Rosenbach museum and library is a community that engages with and celebrates the art of the written word using our collection of rare books, manuscripts, and historical objects. In the spirit of our founders, the Rosenbach brothers, we invite people from all backgrounds to join us in the pursuit, understanding, and enjoyment of great stories. The Rosenbach plans to expand its reach to a global community that is united by the meaning, beauty, and enjoyment of the written word. We create more access to history and literary classics and reveal underrepresented stories from our collections; we engage longtime readers and intentionally welcome new ones; we develop excellent, audience-driven programming inspired by our collections; and we collect rare books, manuscripts, and related objects for the purpose of sharing them with a diverse public.
The Facilities Superintendent ensures the cleanliness, safety, and function of the Rosenbach’s two historic townhomes, garden/courtyard, parking pad/trash area, and front steps/sidewalk. This is a full-time position that reports to the Director of Operations. It requires evenings and weekends occasionally (usually in cases of major events or emergencies). Regular hours are 8:00 a.m.-4:30 p.m., M-F. This position works entirely onsite.
- Ensure the facility is clean (working with a part-time housekeeping contractor)
- Make minor repairs to the two museum buildings (includes painting, bathroom maintenance, some cleaning projects that are beyond daily housekeeping, replacing lightbulbs, and other minor repairs).
- Work with Director of Operations to ensure appropriate contractors are hired for major repairs and maintenance to the building and its systems.
- Assist the Director of Operations and The Rosenbach’s construction managers on larger, ongoing renovations and systems replacements.
- Respond to emergencies by liaising with staff and contractors.
- Assist with exhibition installation, gallery preparation and painting, furniture and exhibit case moving, and some art handling.
- Assist with setting light, sound, and interactives in exhibition spaces.
- Oversee garden maintenance by contractors and volunteers.
- Order/maintain janitorial supplies.
- Work with Events Manager to set up and break down for museum events (mostly chairs and tables of events for 30-65 ppl).
- Ensure daily disposal of trash and recycling, working with staff and the housekeeping contractor.
- Open the museum each morning (following an opening procedure).
- Maintain a clean and organized staff kitchen.
- Organize bi-annual clean up and clean out of the Rosenbach building’s spaces
- Set up for Bloomsday and the Rosenbacchanal, both large, on-site events
- Other projects as determined by the Director of Operations and the Director
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work on-site at the Rosenbach from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm, Monday-Friday. Occasional evenings and weekends as necessary
- Basic knowledge of building systems and how they function
- Ability to envision and set up a room for a variety of events (classes, lectures, parties, etc…)
- Ability to work well under pressure and multi-task in a fast paced, intense environment
- Ability to communicate and work with contractors on a regular basis
- Ability and willingness to report to The Rosenbach or communicate with contractors when there is a building emergency
Training, Education and Experience:
- At least 2 years of experience in building maintenance, preferably in a historic house or building
- Experience working with contractors for inspections, repairs, and installations
- Ability to work with members of a small team in a congenial, helpful way
- Ability to respond effectively to building problems and determine appropriate solutions
- Commitment to creating an environment that is diverse, inclusive, accessible, and equitable.
Physical Demands and Work Environment:
- Must be onsite Monday through Friday from 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.
- Must be able to lift up to 50 pounds
- Must be able to stand/walk for up to 12 hours
This position has a Full Benefit Package: Health, dental, life, and disability insurances; flex benefits and retirement plan; generous leave time allowance
Please send your cover letter and resume to Kelsey Bates at email@example.com by January 24, 2022.