A special message from the Free Library
Updated November 20, 2020
Dear Free Library community,
The Free Library is committed to sharing up-to-date information on our plans. We continue to follow Philadelphia Department of Public Health, city, state, and federal health guidelines to help manage the spread of COVID-19.
Currently at the Free Library:
- In the interest of limiting the impact and spread of COVID-19, all Free Library buildings are closed to the public effective Friday, November 20. This includes our 54 libraries, our Hot Spots, and The Rosenbach.
- While buildings will remain closed, several Free Library locations will resume offering contactless material pickups and returns on Monday, November 30, subject to Philadelphia Department of Public Health guidance. Visit our Services page or call your neighborhood library to see what's available. (This page is updated daily, so please check it regularly.)
- You can place new holds with the Free Library! Sign in to freelibrary.org with your library card number and PIN to place a hold online, or call your neighborhood library to place a hold over the phone. Once your materials are ready, we'll contact you to schedule a pickup appointment.
- All returned materials are being quarantined for 7 days due to COVID-19 safety precautions. If you have returned materials to your neighborhood library within the last 7-10 days and they are still showing as overdue in your account, the materials are likely still being quarantined. All materials will be recorded as returned after quarantine is complete. In the meantime, you may still place holds online and renew any renewable items (those not on hold by another patron).
- The Free Library call center is live! Patrons can call five days a week to speak with our expert staff, who will provide information, technology help, Library updates, and more. Calling is free! Give us a dial at 1-833-TALK FLP (825-5357). We're here Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., and Wednesday, 10:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- Many Free Library programs are proceeding virtually.
- We maintain robust digital resources that you can access anywhere with your library card, including ebooks, audiobooks, movies, TV, music, over 100 databases, and the New York Times online.
All service updates will be posted to this page as they become available. Please check back in the coming weeks as our planning evolves.
We welcome you to also visit our blog and follow the Free Library on social media for up-to-date information on Free Library programs, services, and resources (find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram). Thank you so much for your support and your care for each other and our Free Library community during this uncertain time – we look forward to welcoming you back into our buildings.
COVID-19 Text AlertsGet COVID-19 updates sent to your phone. Text COVIDPHL to 888-777 to receive free text alerts from Philadelphia Public Health.
Information from Local, State, National, and Global Resources
- PDF: Philadelphia Department of Public Health Special Health Bulletin
- Video: Free Library of Philadelphia Coronavirus 101 Panel Discussion on March 2, 2020
- Food sites and student meal sites
- Internet access
- Citizenship status and medical care
- Eligibility and enrollment for public benefits through BenePhilly at 1-833-373-5868