A special message from the Free Library
Updated August 31, 2020
Dear Free Library community,
The Free Library is committed to sharing up-to-date information on our plans. We continue to follow federal, state, health, and local guidelines to help manage the spread of COVID-19.
Currently at the Free Library:
- Several Free Library locations are now offering expanded services, including computer and wireless internet access, in-building material pickup, printing, and reference desk service. Many locations continue to offer returns, contactless material pickups, and phone reference. Visit our Services page or call your neighborhood library to see what's available. (This page is updated daily, so please check it regularly.)
- While we work to create a safe experience for customers and staff, some Free Library locations will remain closed to the public. Our Hot Spots and The Rosenbach will remain closed to the public as well.
- Many Free Library programs are proceeding virtually.
- The Free Library call center is live! Patrons can call five days a week to speak with our expert staff, who will provide information, technology help, Library updates, and more. Calling is free! Give us a dial at 1-833-TALK FLP (1-833-825-5357). We're here Monday, Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday, 10:00 a.m.–5:00 p.m., and Wednesday, 10:00 a.m.–8:00 p.m.
- You can place new holds with the Free Library! Sign in to freelibrary.org with your library card number and PIN to place a hold online, or call your neighborhood library to place a hold over the phone. Once your materials are ready, we'll contact you to schedule a pickup appointment.
- We maintain robust digital resources that you can access anywhere with your library card, including ebooks, audiobooks, movies, TV, music, over 100 databases, and the New York Times online.
All service updates will be posted to this page as they become available. Please check back in the coming weeks as our planning evolves.
We welcome you to also visit our blog and follow the Free Library on social media for up-to-date information on Free Library programs, services, and resources (find us on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram). Thank you so much for your support and your care for each other and our Free Library community during this uncertain time – we look forward to welcoming you back into our buildings.
COVID-19 Text AlertsGet COVID-19 updates sent to your phone. Text COVIDPHL to 888-777 to receive free text alerts from Philadelphia Public Health.
Information from Local, State, National, and Global Resources
- PDF: Philadelphia Department of Public Health Special Health Bulletin
- Video: Free Library of Philadelphia Coronavirus 101 Panel Discussion on March 2, 2020
- Food sites and student meal sites
- Internet access
- Citizenship status and medical care
- Eligibility and enrollment for public benefits through BenePhilly at 1-833-373-5868