March 31 is International Trans Day of Visibility, which honors the trans community and celebrates transgender, nonbinary, and gender non-conforming people. The annual celebration was created in 2010 by Rachel Crandall, a co-founder of Transgender Michigan.
Here are some ideas from the Field Teen Center for celebrating Trans Day of Visibility from home in 2021:
Find Affirming Spaces to Plug In
- Check out Spectrum at the Attic Youth Center, a "gender exploration support group specific for participants that identify as Trans, Non-Gender Conforming, Two-spirit, or Questioning." Spectrum meets virtually on Mondays at 3:00 p.m.
- Make plans to attend the Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference, held virtually this year, July 22-24. The Mazzoni Center hosts this free, annual event, which is the largest trans health conference in the world.
- Connect with the Trans Equity Project from Galaei, a queer Latin social justice organization based in North Philadelphia. The Trans Equity Project offers peer support and connection to gender-affirming care.
- Join SAGA, or Sexuality and Gender Acceptance, a group for youth 13-18 hosted monthly by the Field Teen Center on Discord. Email teencenter @ freelibrary.org to get involved!
- Reach out to trained counselors when you’re struggling. The Trevor Project offers resources for LGBTQ youth who are in crisis or looking for someone to listen. Call 1-866-488-7386, Text START to 678-678, chat with a counselor online, or connect to peers on TrevorSpace, an affirming international community for LGBTQ young people ages 13-24.
Practice Self-Care, Explore, and More
- Download the Trans Affirmation Coloring Book and the Trans People Are Magic Coloring Book, both created by nonbinary artist Theo Nicole Lorenz.
- Interact with or download the Gender Unicorn to explore the distinctions between gender, romantic, and sexual identities and expressions.
- Find resources, events, author interviews, lists of films and books, and more information on the Free Library’s LGBTQ Explore Topic.
- Listen to the Field Teen Center’s Spotify Playlist featuring trans, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming artists created for Trans Day of Visibility (but an awesome listen all year long).
- Select your next read using the Teen Center’s YouTube playlist of LGBT+ book talks, or browse all our fiction and nonfiction picks for Trans Day of Visibility in our catalog.