September is Library Card Sign-Up Month, and while we all know that a library card grants you instant access to a treasure trove of books, CDs, DVDs, graphic novels, and audiobooks from our catalog, we wanted to take this opportunity to highlight some of the more unconventional but equally wonderful items you can borrow and services you can take advantage of!
- If the Free Library doesn't have what you're looking for, we can borrow it on your behalf from another library system! Learn more about Interlibrary Loan.
- A library card is your ticket to learning something new! Dive into our databases, like Mango Languages to learn a new language at your own pace or LinkedIn Learning to take courses taught by industry experts.
- One of our newest resources is the Historical Black Newspapers collection from ProQuest. Cardholders can explore 10 of the most distinguished Black newspapers in the United States, that help piece together a fuller story of American history and featuring stories that were omitted from textbooks and mainstream newspapers.
- Have you ever wished you could find a resource that would practically write your business plan for you? Your wish has come true! Gale Small Business Builder is a step-by-step online planning tool for starting, managing, and optimizing a business or nonprofit.
- Although many of our items are currently not circulating due to COVID-19 precautions, your library card allows you to check out some, shall we say, *unique* items from our libraries! Prior to the pandemic, you could borrow musical instruments, blood pressure cuffs and food scales, exercise equipment, birding and hiking backpacks, bus busy bags, and more! Stay tuned for information about the return of these special items to our shelves at your neighborhood library.
Not sure if you already have a library card, or maybe you signed up years ago and can't remember your login info? Check our website for more info!
Already have your card in hand? Help a friend or family member get a library card today! It’s the gift that keeps on giving! Anyone who lives, works, pays taxes, or attends school in the city of Philadelphia is eligible for a Free Library card, so share the news!
What's your favorite way to use your library card? Let us know in the comments!