Advanced
Grand Opera House, Philadelphia

Item Info

Item No: pdcc00091
Title: Grand Opera House, Philadelphia
Historic Street Address: Broad Street & Montgomery Avenue
Media Type: Scrapbooks
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Exterior view of the Grand Opera House which stood at the corner of Broad Street and Montgomery Avenue from 1888 to 1940.  Designed by George Plowman for the Betz Brewing Company, it was the fourth largest theater ever erected in Philadelphia. The theatre was home to the National Grand Opera, founded by Gustave Hinrich. In 1912 the theatre was bought by the Nixon chain and renamed Nixon's Grand. It featured big name vaudeville acts and showed feature movies until 1940, when it was partly demolished except for the facade.


Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.980216
Geocode Longitude:-75.157525

Call Number: A917.481 P536 v.2
Creator Name: Castner, Samuel, Jr., 1843-1929 - Compiler
Plowman, George, active 1876-1903 - Architect