The Simplest Way to Read ebooks: Overdrive READ
There are a number of apps and software to use when reading library ebooks but one reading method in particular stands out for its simplicity and immediacy: Overdrive READ.
Overdrive READ is the in-browser reader from Overdrive. Overdrive is one of the primary platforms over which the library provides our ebooks. With Overdrive READ you can checkout and read an ebook directly in the web browser of your device, with no additional apps or software required.
Overdrive READ will work on any device with a web browser. That includes PC or Mac computers, Android smart phones or tablets, Apple iPhones and iPads, and most other devices that can display webpages (the Kindle FIre and Fire HD can use Overdrive READ though you will need to add a third party browser such as the Maxthon Mobile app from the Kindle app store becuase the Kindle's native browser is not compatible with READ).
Here's how to use Overdrive READ:
- Visit http://freelibrary.lib.overdrive.com on your computer or device
- Find a book you would like to read
- Click the cover to open the book
- On the right of the screen, find Available Formats and look for OverdriveREAD (while most ebooks are available for in-browser reading, some are not)
- Click Borrow
- Enter your Free Library card number and PIN
- Click the button for Read (in your browser)
- The ebook will open and you can begin reading
- In most browsers you will be able to make your ebook available for reading when you are not connected to the internet.
Further information and how-to tutorials about Overdrive READ are available directly from Overdrive.