The first was June 11, 1923, and it burned for two days, destroying the train shed and storage vaults. The second fire was on Sept. 12, 1943, and it destroyed a block long section of track and platform.
The building cost $543,000; $370,000 was raised by Jasper Claghorn, $33,000 was a bequest from Henry Gilpin, $140,000 was raised by the sale of property, and the rest came from smaller donations.
The city of Philadelphia began sponsoring the Mummers' Parade at the beginning of the 20th century in an effort to gain some control over the raucous impromptu parades that erupted throughout the city on New Year's Day. Bart McHugh, a newpaper reporter and theatrical agent, led the effort to convince City Council to put up prize money for participants in the official parade. It was a small parade by current standards with only about 3000 men participating. The original route began in South Philadelphia and went up Broad Street to what is now Cecil B. Moore Avenue in North Philadelphia..
The Sesquicentennial Exposition was a world's fair to celebrate our country's 150th anniversary. It was held mainly at League Island Park at the bottom of Broad Street in South Philadelphia. Paul Phillipe Cret designed the physical layout, which included an 80 foot tall replica of the Liberty Bell covered in 26,000 light bulbs at the entrance. The fair was a financial disaster but the grounds were later developed into FDR Park, Marconi Plaza, the Packer park neighborhood and the sports complex.
Broad Street is the longest and the widest street in Philadelphia. At 12.5 miles, it is also the longest urban street in the US.
It is displayed in the museum of the Masonic Temple on Broad Street in Philadelphia.
President Franklin Pierce attended the groundbreaking on June 18, 1855 and the completed building opened with a grand ball on January 26, 1857. The first performance was the opera, Il Travatore, performed on February 25, 1857. The Academy of Music is the oldest opera house still in use in the U.S. and was also the home of the Philadelphia Orchestra from 1900 to 2001.
The architect for the Academy of Music was Philadelphia-born Napoleon LeBrun, the son of a French diplomat. For acoustical purposes, the auditorium is designed after the Teatro alla Scala in Milan, Italy. The Renaissance Revival Style building was faced with brick, rather than marble, as a cost-saving measure.
Formed in 1862, the Union League of Philadelphia was one of the first of many Union Leagues organized across the North to support the government of the United States and the suppression of rebellion. In addition to raising money and troops, the Union League of Philadelphia produced 4.5 million copies of 145 pro-Union pamphlets and distributed them throughout the North. After the war's end the Union League supported black civil rights and spearheaded a successful campaign for streetcar desegregation in Philadelphia. In 1865 it moved into its present location at Broad and Sansom Streets.
Dedicated in 1951, it was at Broad and Berks Streets in Philadelphia. The chapel was built to honor four WWII chaplains who lost their lives while saving others on the U.S.S. Dorchester, torpedoed off the coast of Greenland. The chapel has moved to Valley Forge and the historic building is now home to the Temple Performing Arts Center.
In the 1740's a small group of Jews began holding services in private homes and eventually became Miveh Israel, the second-oldest surviving congregation in the US. Their first synagogue, on Cherry Alley between Third and Fourth Streets, was dedicated in September, 1782.The current synagogue opened in August, 1976 on 4th Street between Arch and Market.
It was the Philadelphia Orchestra, conducted by Leopold Stokowski. The score, which includes Bach's Toccata and Fugue in d minor, music from Tchaikovsky's Nutcracker, Ponchielie's Dance of the Hours, Mussorgsky's Night on Bare Mountain, part of Beethoven's 6th Symphony, Stravinsky's Le Sacre du Printemps, and Dukas' L'Apprentie Sorciere, was recorded at the Academy of Music in April 3-7, 1939.