LEAP Afterschool Leader:
Afterschool Leaders (ASLs) provide homework help, technology support, program development, and mentoring for those who attend the Free Library of Philadelphia’s LEAP afterschool program. The position is part-time seasonal temporary work with a pay rate of $17.00 per hour, 16 hours per week (4 weekdays, and 4 hours on Saturdays when LEAP is in session). The ideal candidate will be able to work Saturday afternoons during the school year, and will not have any conflicts with working out-of-school hours during the week.
The Afterschool Leader reports to the Library Supervisor and/or Children’s Librarian. The LEAP Out-of-School Program Manager will serve as a co-supervisor.
All Afterschool Leaders must have the following qualifications:
- Possess a BA/BS degree.
- Reside within the city limits Philadelphia.
- Demonstrate ability to plan, organize, and present afterschool programs.
- Be available to work designated program hours.
- Show aptitude for using technology and library resources.
- Be able to get to assigned work location by 3pm weekdays.
- Be available to work Saturday hours.
- Submit proof of required background clearances that are dated within 1 year prior to hire date.
- Have a willingness to cooperate with Library Staff and Teen Leadership Assistants (TLAs)
- Must not currently have another position as a City of Philadelphia employee (includes School District of Philadelphia as well as Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation).
Afterschool Leader Responsibilities:
- Provide homework assistance to children and teens.
- Mentor and provide on-site training to TLAs.
- Mentor branch children and teens.
- Plan and facilitate daily literacy activities appropriate for the LEAP program.
- Provide technology assistance to school-aged patrons.
- Demonstrate use of library resources to LEAP children and teens.
- Adhere to Free Library of Philadelphia policies and standards, including Electronic Use Policy.
- Provide prompt, accurate monthly reports on LEAP attendance and programming to the Library Supervisor or designee.
- Register participants, take attendance, and enter statistical data using the ETO database at least weekly.
- Work with the Library Supervisor or designee to develop and post a LEAP schedule.
- Arrive on time for work, wear your LEAP staff badge, and accurately report hours worked.
- Attend the mandatory LEAP trainings during the course of the LEAP program year. These mandatory trainings will be reviewed during ASL Orientation.
Please email your resume and cover letter to LEAPhiring@freelibrary.org for consideration.
Send resume and cover letter to:
The Office of Public Service Support
1901 Vine Street, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Email: LEAPhiring@freelibrary.org (Attachments in Microsoft Word, please)
The Free Library of Philadelphia is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Minorities and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.