LEAP Afterschool Leader: ASL Part-time Temporary
The Free Library of Philadelphia’s Literacy Enrichment Afterschool Program (LEAP) is hiring Afterschool Leaders (ASLs) for 2019-20. LEAP ASLs provide mentoring, program development, technology support, and homework help for those who attend LEAP. The position is part-time, seasonal temporary work, starting in late August and running through early June (later if funding permits). The pay rate is $17.00 per hour, 20 hours per week (4 weekdays, and 4 hours on Saturdays when LEAP is in session). The ideal candidate will be able to work Saturday afternoons during the school year, will be able to attend mandatory professional development and orientation sessions scheduled during weekdays, and will not have any conflicts with working out-of-school hours during the week. The LEAP ASL reports to the Library Supervisor and/or Children’s Librarian. The Out-of-School Time Program Manager will serve as a co-supervisor. Interviews will begin the week of June 24th, and will continue until the vacancies are filled.
All LEAP Afterschool Leaders must have the following qualifications:
- Possess and provide proof of a BA/BS degree; or be in final semester of BA/BS program with commensurate experience*
- Reside within the city limits of Philadelphia.
- Willing and able to work in any Philadelphia neighborhood.
- Be available to work designated program hours.
- Able to travel to Parkway Central to attend mandatory trainings, workshops, and orientation sessions as scheduled.
- Submit proof of required background clearances that are dated within 1 year prior to hire date.
- Demonstrated experience in an out-of-school time program with an emphasis on mentoring teens and children, especially those in grades 4 through 8.
- Must not currently hold a position as a City of Philadelphia employee, nor as a School District of Philadelphia employee, nor with the Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation.
Requirements and expectations of the Afterschool Leader:
- Provide personalized mentoring to and conduct weekly meetings with Teen Leadership Assistants (TLAs) at your assigned library.
- Support the TLAs in their college and career exploration, providing appropriate feedback and guidance.
- Model appropriate, professional behavior for children and teen participants at your library.
- Plan and facilitate daily STEAM-inspired activities appropriate for your library community.
- Assist with creating and revising new and existing LEAP curricula throughout the year.
- Submit prompt, accurate monthly reports on LEAP attendance and programming via employee intranet.
- Register participants, take attendance, and enter statistical data weekly using a proprietary attendance database.
- Check email daily and communicate concerns, successes, and supply requests in a timely fashion.
- Collaborate with the Library Supervisor or designee to develop and promote a LEAP calendar of events, and share this calendar with LEAP HQ each month.
- Provide technology assistance to children and teens, including using library computers and electronic resources like Homework Help Online.
- Demonstrate knowledge of traditional and emerging library resources.
- Provide homework assistance to children and teens as needed.
- Arrive on time for work, wear your LEAP staff badge, and accurately report hours worked.
- Participate in mandatory orientation and other professional development sessions.
- Adhere to all Free Library of Philadelphia policies, including Standards of Acceptable Behavior, Personal Appearance, Sexual Harassment, and Electronic Use Policy.
Send resume and cover letter to:
YSP - LEAP
Youth Services and Programs
1901 Vine Street, Room 5, Philadelphia, PA 19103
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org (Attachments in Microsoft Word, please)
The Free Library of Philadelphia is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Minorities and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.