Early Childhood Literacy Specialist:
DEPARTMENT: Youth Services and Programs Division (YSP)
POSITION: Early Childhood Literacy Specialist
REPORTS TO: Chief, Youth Services and Programs Division
Creative opportunity for an early childhood educator and/or early literacy specialist to implement the Literacy in Early Learning Spaces initiative at The Free Library of Philadelphia. This is a two year grant funded full time position. You will join a highly collaborative team of two other full time Early Childhood Literacy Specialists, as well as the Project Director, who all launched this initiative last year.
- Provides technical assistance for childcare facilities to enhance early literacy and language development;
- Presents professional development workshops focused on modeling best practices for early childhood educators;
- Assists in hosting class visits and family engagement opportunities at neighborhood libraries;
- Cultivates and maintains partnerships with childcare facilities, children’s and family service agencies, and FLP children’s librarians;
- Visits childcare programs to assess needs and gather input from educators;
- Creates and implements research based assessment tools of early childhood facilities;
- Develops and uses appropriate tools to measure the outcomes of early literacy programming and materials;
- Participates in special family literacy events such as family nights;
- Gathers, maintains, and shares qualitative and quantitative data for grant reporting;
- Performs other duties as instructed and assigned.
Required Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
- Knowledge of Philadelphia’s early learning landscape and needs of early childhood educators;
- Knowledge of early childhood development, early literacy, and children’s literature;
- Knowledge of developmentally appropriate literature and early literacy activities;
- Outstanding interpersonal and communication skills;
- Ability to present to groups;
- Strong organizational skills;
- Knowledge and ability to model research-based storytime techniques that promote early literacy skill development;
- Ability to develop positive, productive relations with people in the community;
- Ability and initiative to work independently;
- Ability to travel to and from multiple childcare facilities within Philadelphia
Education & Experience:
- Bachelor’s degree is required;
- Early Childhood teaching experience required;
- Or equivalent technical training, education, and/or experience;
- Fluency in Spanish is helpful.
Terms of Employment
- Full Time (37 ½ hours per week)
- Evenings and weekends as required.
- Successful applicant must submit proof of required background clearances prior to hire date
This position has a full Benefit Package: Health, dental, life, and disability insurance; flex benefits and Retirement Plan; generous leave time allowance.
To Apply: Please e-mail cover letter and resume with “Early Childhood Literacy Specialist” in the subject to firstname.lastname@example.org.
“The Vanguard Strong Start for Kids Program™ is dedicated to helping provide children the opportunity to grow, thrive, and learn in communities near each of Vanguard’s major U.S. Sites. The Initiative is funded through a combination of Vanguard corporate gifts and Vanguard employee gifts from the company’s annual giving campaign.”
For more information contact:
Manager of Human Resources
Email: email@example.com (Attachments in Microsoft Word, please)
The Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation is an Equal Employment Opportunity Employer. Minorities and LGBTQ individuals are encouraged to apply.