BLAST Pilot Phase 1:
4th Grade Social Studies
Select libraries and schools across Philadelphia are partnering to teach a 6-week social studies curriculum designed jointly by teachers and librarians.
Sign up here
if you’d like to bring the curriculum to your school.
Sign up for an exciting field trip with your local neighborhood library! Your librarian will lead a tour of the library, explain how the library works, and check out books.
Sign up here to register a whole class for library cards!
Customized Book Collections
Submit a topic of interest to your class and librarians at your local branch will put together a customized list of books on that topic. Note:
Requires 3-week lead time.
Submit a question
to our 24/7 online reference desk to bring a virtual librarian into your classroom!
Librarians can lead workshops in the library or in the classroom on research skills including:
- How to use computers
- How to find information in the library
- How to search databases and the Internet for information
- How to take notes
Teachers are eligible to receive Educator Cards where you can:
- Borrow up to 50 items at a time for your class
- Enjoy a loan period of 28 days
- Use the card for up to 1 year
Apply for an Educator Card.
Schedule a field trip to see some of the Free Library’s rarest collections:
- The Rosenbach, a historic 1865 townhouse, houses treasures like the only surviving copy of Benjamin Franklin’s Poor Richard Almanac.
- The Rare Book Room at Parkway Central Library has some of the library’s oldest and most unique books.
Schedule a visit with librarians from the Rare Book Department, who will bring rare literary artifacts to your classroom. The program can be tailored to meet the interests of class!