The Free Library is very pleased to announce the return of Kanopy, the popular on-demand video streaming service that The New York Times has called, "a garden of cinematic delights." Kanopy PLUS, including Kanopy Kids, is now available at no cost with your Free Library of Philadelphia library card.
Kanopy PLUS (Public Library Unlimited Subscriptions) is a new service that offers library cardholders unlimited access to Kanopy’s collection of 3,000+ films. This service has no monthly viewing limits or watch tokens. Our Kanopy PLUS subscription includes films from the distinguished international film distribution company Kino Lorber and more.
Free Library patrons have unlimited access to films from all available Kanopy PLUS packs (film collection modules):
- Favorites: A mix of patron and staff favorites that spans the breadth of the full catalog, including Joe Bell (2020), Howards End (1992) and Dial M for Murder (1954).
- Easy Watching: Fun, charming, and delightful titles that engage and entertain, such as My Afternoons with Margueritte (2010), Charade (1963) and Life Animated (2016).
- Diversity: A broad range of popular and compelling narrative films and documentaries that focus on diverse stories and storytellers, including Miss Juneteenth (2020), Whale Rider (2002), and Ken Burns: The Central Park Five (2012).
- World Cinema: International titles that span comedy, drama, romance, and more, including Transit (2018), Nowhere in Africa (2001), and Downfall (2004).
- In addition, all Free Library cardholders have access to some 300 titles in the Kanopy Starter Pack — which includes Cannes and Sundance favorites, Academy Award-winners, and classic films — and 2,000 titles in Kanopy Kids!
Getting started with Kanopy is simple, but for those of you who would like to pick up where you left off, you should still be able to use your existing account (unless you specifically requested that Kanopy delete it). If you already have an account, you will be able to reactivate your membership by clicking on the orange "Add Your Library Card" prompt and then supplying your library credentials. If needed, you may reset your Kanopy password.
Please note that you will need a Free Library card to access Kanopy. If you do not have one, you can sign up for a library card today.
You will find a link to Kanopy on our Digital Media Portal or by going to freelibrary.kanopy.com You can stream Kanopy PLUS films from Roku, iOS, and Android devices using the free Kanopy app, which is available from your device's app store.