It's hard to believe that it's been fifty years since the Starship Enterprise boldly went where no one had gone before... both in pop culture and the real world. Given today's current political and social climates in America and througout the world, the ideals and topics portrayed in the future of Star Trek—racism and diversity, sexism and feminism, militarism and peace—couldn't be any more poignant. Let it also be said that in these trying and stressful times we live in, everyone could possibly benefit from an hour or two of pure escapist enjoyment and stop this whole wide world from spinning for a while.
Luckily there is a new blockbuster Star Trek movie beaming into theaters today.
Here are some other special Star Trek celebrations that have either already taken place this year or will be taking place in the not-too-distant future:
- Earlier this year, Star Trek: The Ultimate Voyage took place, which was a 100-city concert tour featuring an orchestra playing the franchise's music accompanied by relevant scenes from television and films.
- Star Trek — 50 Artists. 50 Years is an exhibit taking place at this summer's San Diego's Comic-Con that will feature Trek-inspired illustration, photography, and graphic design by 50 artists, including Mr. Spock himself, the late Leonard Nimoy.
- The place to be in August is a huge 50th anniversary Star Trek convention convening in the alien-like desert of Las Vegas.
- Sending a letter by snail mail may be decidedly low-tech nowadays but at least they will look hi-tech with these Star Trek stamps being issued by USPS in September.
- Perhaps most exciting is that a brand new Star Trek series will be broadcast on CBS starting in 2017.
No matter if you are strictly an old school TOS ("The Original Series", natch) fan, you want to debate over Picard vs. Kirk, or really want to put the odd-even Star Trek film theory to the test, we've got more Trek titles than Tribbles for you to check out at Free Library! As a starting out point, view our Star Trek 50th Anniversary catalog list, filled with fifty favorites across all Trek-related media including DVDs, books, ebooks, audiobooks, CDs, even musical scores and vinyl records! For more in-depth catalog searching, you can use terms like Human-Alien Encounters, Time Travel, Klingons, Interplanetary Voyages, or even Spock, to list just a few. Lastly, Hoopla has a special collection of both streaming and downloadable Star Trek audiobooks that you have to hear to believe, read by Star Trek series actors George Takei, Leonard Nimoy, James Doohan, and William Shatner!
Happy 50th Star Trek and...