Welcome to Young Readers’ Week! The Free Library joins young readers around the nation in an annual celebration of all things bookish.
Originally born of a partnership between Pizza’s Hut’s Book-It program and the Library of Congress, the weeklong festivity runs from November 14th to 18th. Mostly, it gives us just another reason to cozy up with a good book! Read on for some ways that your family can participate.
As the leaves begin to fall and the nights grow cooler, it feels like the perfect time to sign up for the Fall into Reading Challenge. We challenge you to read for 30 minutes every day or complete breezy activities to earn 500 points this fall. Watch your reading streak grow and unlock surprise badges all season long. Don’t miss out on the special edition Graphic Novel Writing Room, open to all ages during the month of November. Our youngest readers are invited to sign up for 1,000 Books Before Kindergarten! There’s no better week to begin.
And Book-It is still going strong! You can enroll your classroom or your home-schooled students in their digital program to earn personal pan pizzas for meeting reading goals each month. Visit bookitprogram.com to learn more.
Free Library Events, November 14-18
For Teens and Young Adults
- Monday, November 14: Express yourself at a Zine Workshop to share stories about your life, health, communities, families, challenges and hopes while living through the pandemic.
- Tuesday, November 15: Exercise your creativity with Collage Poetry.
- Wednesday, November 16: Bring your latest read to the Teen Book Club and enjoy games, crafts, snacks, and new reading recommendations from the Free Library’s collection.
- Thursday, November 17: Get to word-smithing when you Play Scrabble with other library goers!
- Friday, November 18: Sign up for the Art Book Club, an informal, hybrid group of art book appreciators and art makers that gets together twice a month. Join anytime.
And did you know that November is Family Stories month? On Thursday, November 17, Come together to share your stories at Family Stories Day. This event is open to community members of all ages.
Wishing a wonderful, fun-filled week to all our young readers from Youth Services!