Tax season is upon us. After months of anticipation, the Federal and Pennsylvania tax forms are now available in the Government Publications Department at the Central Library (1901 Vine St.), as well as at the neighborhood libraries.
Due to IRS budget cuts, the 1040/1040A/1040EZ instructions have not been disseminated to libraries this year. The Government Publications Department will make reference copies of these booklets available to read in the library. Otherwise, patrons can obtain copies of instructions through:
- IRS.gov/Forms - to view and download
- IRS.gov/orderforms - to order tax products to be delivered by mail
- 1-800-829-3676 - to order tax products to be delivered by mail
We’ve received many inquiries about providing tax help. While librarians are not able to help you do your taxes, we can happily recommend a number of organizations that will:
- Campaign for Working Families (their website is not fully functional; call 215-454-6483 to schedule an appointment, or 311 for more information including locations)
- Pathways PA (multiple locations including the Walnut St. West neighborhood library; visit the Pathways website or call to schedule an appointment: 610-543-5022 or 800-209-2914)
- AARP (for older adults with low- to moderate-income; visit their website, email email@example.com, or call 888-227-7669 to find a location)
In addition, the Solution for Progress’s Benefit Bank provides a platform for filing your own taxes online – federal and state – and completely free for low- to moderate-income users (individual filers making under $65,000 or couples making under $95,000). And they have a network of counselors to help with tax preparation, as well as navigating public assistance applications, student aid, and voter registration; use their “site locator” to find locations throughout Pennsylvania.
One more thing: the perennially popular Property Tax/Rent Rebate forms (PA-1000) will be available online from the Pennsylvania Department of Revenue starting February 11. The library expects to have hard copies of the Rent Rebate forms available sometime in the following months.