Tech Week 2015!By CaitlinT Wed, April 8, 2015
Can’t wait for Philly Tech Week 2015? Neither can we! The Free Library of Philadelphia is a proud partner of PTW2015, organized by Technical.ly Philly, coming to the city April 17-25 this year. Special tech-related classes, speakers and events will be held across the city--aimed at everyone from the beginning developer to the experienced entrepreneur.
Last year over 25,000 people participated throughout the city, and this year there are already over 100 events scheduled. The free kick-off event will take place on April 17 at Dilworth Park, and includes an outdoor arcade, live music performances, and a Maker Corner! For a full listing of events, visit PTW’s Event Calendar.
While you’re there, make sure to check out some of the great offerings being sponsored and hosted by Free Library staff! A “Trash Your Flash Drive” class is being held at the Village of Arts and Humanities and Heavenly Hall HotSpots, teaching users how to dive into the world of cloud computing and unchain themselves from flash drives. Northeast Regional is hosting a fun-filled TechXpo showcasing cool 3d printing projects (like creating chocolate molds!) and DIY experiments sponsored by Philly’s Maker Jawn. Right here at Parkway Central, there is a full line-up including a Fast and Free DIY Websites course and a high-impact presentation by tech-savvy Amy Larimore called “Supercharge Your Small Business with Technology”. Libraries across the city are getting into the spirit of Tech Week!
Interested in improving your tech skills? You don't need to wait to get started! If you’re curious about coding, programming, or if you just want to update your basic computer knowledge, keep in mind that the Free Library of Philadelphia frequently offers computer classes throughout the city aimed at all skill levels. We also offer print and electronic resources on the most current coding and programming languages. Here are some of our most recent additions:
- Cline, Lydia. 3D printing with Autodesk 123D®, Tinkercad®, and Makerbot®. New York, NY: McGraw-Hill Education, 2015.
- Goodliffe, Pete. Becoming a Better Programmer. Sebastopol, California: O'Reilly, 2015.
- Kurniawan, Budi. Java: A Beginner’s Tutorial. LaPrairie, Canada: Brainy Software, 2015.
- Langbridge, James. Arduino Sketches: Tools and Techniques for Programming Wizardry. Indianapolis, IN: Wiley, 2015.
- MacDonald, Matthew. Wordpress. Sebastopol, CA: O'Reilly, 2015.
- Philbin, Carrie Ann. Adventures in Raspberry Pi. Chichester, West Sussex: Wiley, 2015.
Stay tuned for more info on Philly Tech Week 2015, and engage with us @FLPbusiness by using #PTW2015 and #flptech on social media!