As the mercury rises this summer in Philly, get hot on the trail of...
- A re-opened cold case with one of America’s most dogged investigative journalists.
- Explore your epicurean side with the queen of Indian cooking’s guide to one of America’s favorite kitchen gadgets.
- Take to the skies with the soaring tale of a young slave who slips the surly bonds of Barbados through the miracle of flight.
- Unpack insights on barrier-breaking, identity, and race with the firebrand editor who flipped the script on beauty magazines.
- Chart a cultural icon’s stunning fall from grace through a veteran Philly crime reporter’s groundbreaking discoveries.
- Learn the tough and tender lessons imparted by an irascible 100-year-old new roommate.
- Partner up with one of the most popular writers of all time as a steely FBI agent struggles to find the pattern in a string of seemingly unrelated murders.
- Transform abuse into absolution and atonement with one of Newsweek’s "150 Women Who Changed the World".
- Hide from the world with an alienated young New Yorker under the influence of a mélange of medication and one of the worst psychiatrists in literary history!
Join us as Mark Bowden returns to the story of the unsolved disappearance of two children he covered as cub reporter in the 70s; multipurpose with James Beard-award winning author and actor Madhur Jaffrey’s comprehensive guide to Instant Pot Indian food; float on the breeze from the Caribbean to the Arctic as Esi Edugyan’s 1830s runaway slave hero finds physical and spiritual freedom amidst an uplifting hot-air balloon sojourn; claim space for who you are in the workplace and world in a manifesto/memoir from former Teen Vogue editor Elaine Welteroth; dig deeper into Bill Cosby’s downfall with Philadelphia Daily News journalist Nicole Weisensee Egan, the first journalist to investigate the allegations that ultimately sent the icon to prison; share a space with Philly icon Lorene Cary as she details the wisdom and understanding she gleaned when her complicated force-of-nature centenarian grandmother moved in with her during the last year of her life; connect the clues to disparate murders with mega-bestselling author James Patterson and his latest thriller; trade pain for reckoning and healing with Vagina Monologues author Eve Ensler’s transformative imagined apology from her father; wake from hibernation with Ottessa Moshfegh, one of fiction’s most acclaimed new voices, as she tells a story of how necessary isolation can be.
And these are just a few of our summer 2019 programs! It might be a furnace out there but it’s a party in here this summer at the Free Library Author Events Series! Don’t forget to check us out on Facebook and Instagram.
Tickets can be purchased online at freelibrary.org/authorevents or by phone at 800-595-4TIX (4849) starting on Tuesday, April 23 at 10:00 a.m..
Do attend, won’t you?