Celebrating Trans Day of Visibility with the Field Teen CenterBy Megan J. Mon, March 29, 2021
March 31 is International Trans Day of Visibility, which honors the trans community and celebrates transgender, nonbinary, and gender non-conforming people. The annual celebration was created in 2010 by Rachel Crandall, a co-founder of Transgender Michigan.
Here are some ideas from the Field Teen Center for celebrating Trans Day of Visibility from home in 2021:
- View the Trans FAQ and Terms from Philadelphia's Office of LGBT Affairs.
- Read GLAAD’s Transgender FAQ for more detailed information.
- Familiarize yourself with the Know Your Rights Guide for Transgender and Gender Nonconforming Students from GLSEN.
- Download PFLAG’s Our Trans Loved Ones: Questions and Answers for Parents, Families, and Friends of People Who Are Transgender and Gender Expansive.
- Look for trans activists, educators, and content creators on social media platforms and in your community to expand your learning and stay up to date on issues facing trans individuals and groups.
Find Affirming Spaces to Plug In
- Check out Spectrum at the Attic Youth Center, a "gender exploration support group specific for participants that identify as Trans, Non-Gender Conforming, Two-spirit, or Questioning." Spectrum meets virtually on Mondays at 3:00 p.m.
- Make plans to attend the Philadelphia Trans Wellness Conference, held virtually this year, July 22-24. The Mazzoni Center hosts this free, annual event, which is the largest trans health conference in the world.
- Connect with the Trans Equity Project from Galaei, a queer Latin social justice organization based in North Philadelphia. The Trans Equity Project offers peer support and connection to gender-affirming care.
- Join SAGA, or Sexuality and Gender Acceptance, a group for youth 13-18 hosted monthly by the Field Teen Center on Discord. Email teencenter @ freelibrary.org to get involved!
- Reach out to trained counselors when you’re struggling. The Trevor Project offers resources for LGBTQ youth who are in crisis or looking for someone to listen. Call 1-866-488-7386, Text START to 678-678, chat with a counselor online, or connect to peers on TrevorSpace, an affirming international community for LGBTQ young people ages 13-24.
Practice Self-Care, Explore, and More
- Download the Trans Affirmation Coloring Book and the Trans People Are Magic Coloring Book, both created by nonbinary artist Theo Nicole Lorenz.
- Interact with or download the Gender Unicorn to explore the distinctions between gender, romantic, and sexual identities and expressions.
- Find resources, events, author interviews, lists of films and books, and more information on the Free Library’s LGBTQ Explore Topic.
- Listen to the Field Teen Center’s Spotify Playlist featuring trans, nonbinary, and gender nonconforming artists created for Trans Day of Visibility (but an awesome listen all year long).
- Select your next read using the Teen Center’s YouTube playlist of LGBT+ book talks, or browse all our fiction and nonfiction picks for Trans Day of Visibility in our catalog.