It’s one of our favorite weeks of the year—National Library Week!
This year's theme is "Connect with your Library," celebrating libraries as places to connect to technology as well as with media, programs, classes, ideas, and most importantly, with each other.
Founded in 1958, this annual celebration is a time to reflect on the contributions of our nation’s libraries and librarians, and their role in transforming lives and strengthening communities. It’s also a time to collectively promote library use and support. As you can imagine, it's music to our ears! Read more about the history of National Library Week at American Libraries magazine, and check out the list of past National Library Week themes.
Later today, the American Library Association (ALA) will officially kick off the week by releasing the State of America’s Libraries Report, which will include the top ten frequently challenged books of 2021—stay tuned for that, as we'll share it on our social media channels as soon as it's available!
Are you wanting to join the National Library Week festivities? Here are a few ways you can get involved:
- Visit your library! Whether in person or virtually (services vary, so check before you go!), we hope you'll use this week to take advantage of all we have to offer. And of course, if you don't have a Library card, what better time to get one?
- Participate in the #MyLibrary campaign. During National Library Week 2022, we're asking you to share the connections you've made thanks to your library. Did you find a great book? Get access to computers? Attend a great program or storytime? Did you make new friends at the library’s book club? Tell us by posting to Instagram, Twitter, or on the I Love Libraries Facebook page, and use the #MyLibrary hashtag and tag us at @FreeLibrary. One randomly selected winner will receive a $100 Visa gift card. The promotion ends Saturday, April 9 at 1:00 p.m. ET. Official rules will be posted online.
- Support your library! This is a great time to make a gift to the Free Library of Philadelphia Foundation, which supports many of our impactful programs that enhance literacy, guide learning, and inspire curiosity throughout our region.
- Visit our website at freelibrary.org to learn something you might not know about us! Browse our catalog, use our digital media resources and databases, find a program at one of our 54 locations, join our online community, download a new image for your social media or lock screen, and even try your luck with some trivia!
- Keep up with us on social media this week as we celebrate National Library Workers Day (April 5), as well as National Library Outreach Day and Library Giving Day (April 6), and Take Action for Libraries Day (April 7). We'll also be sharing fun facts, information about our services, and more!
Happy National Library Week, and thank you for being part of our community!