The Free Library of Philadelphia provides educational programming to enhance and enrich the lives of residents and free access to important resources and services. The Library hosts thousands of public programs each year, including storytimes, author events, makerspace activities, holiday parties, book clubs, and more.
The Communications Department of the Free Library is seeking a candidate to photograph programs, events, and environs across its 54 locations. All locations will be in the city of Philadelphia or its close vicinity. Photographs may be used across a wide variety of channels, including print, websites, digital, social media, and public presentations. All photos including copyrights are the sole property of the Free Library. The photographer retains the right to use photographs for self-promotional purposes.
Contract amount: up to $7,500
Contract period: July 1, 2023 – June 30, 2024 (FY 2024)
- Photograph Free Library events, documenting patron engagement and all photographic needs as provided by Free Library contact (typically a representative from the Communications Department)
- Ensure the use of any appropriate props or branded products for subjects to wear or feature, as needed
- Coordinate with Free Library contact/s to ensure all photographed subjects complete necessary release forms
- Coordinate with Free Library staff to schedule event photography, typically between 1–3 hours, plus travel time
- Planned photo list
- Original images
- Previous experience photographing public events, with 10–100+ participants
- Portfolio showcasing strong work in both interior and exterior environments, exterior photography a plus
- Strong knowledge of industry standards in photography management and editing software
- Understanding of Free Library’s mission and brand
- Ability to provide final edited images, as requested, and original source files in industry-standard format
- Good availability to attend and photograph events as scheduled, throughout the contract period (FY 2024). Events are typically scheduled during Library hours: Monday through Friday, 10 a.m.–5 p.m., as well as special weekday evening events (typically 5 p.m.–9 p.m.) and weekend daytime events (10 a.m.–5 p.m.) — occasional needs may arise outside of these hours
- The successful candidate will communicate effectively and timely with Free Library staff to schedule shoots and deliver files
- Submit invoices monthly (as scheduled). If hourly rates are charges, the invoice must detail number of hours worked, hourly rate, services rendered
Applicants are required to provide a cost proposal which includes:
- Line item breakdown of the costs for the specific services and products proposed
- A price that includes all costs, such as administrative or fringe costs, proposed to be charged
Cost proposals typically include:
- Fixed price, where payment is not based on time or resources expended, and/or hourly rate, where payment is based on time or resources expended
Note: Proposals may include event-rate pricing and additional hourly rate/s for events that exceed certain time limits or the number of photographs as set by the applicant.
Responses must include:
- Company/freelancer profile
- Contact information
- Statement of applicant’s qualifications, relevant experience
- Cost proposal, service rate (event fee and/or hourly rate)
- Work portfolio or link to a portfolio site
- Three references
- If applicable, documentation of M/W/DSBE or LGBTQ applicant data
Please send bid proposals to Jennifer Donsky (firstname.lastname@example.org), Library Coordinator, Graphic Design Studio, Free Library of Philadelphia.
Responses are due by September 29, 2023. Good luck!