Advanced
Municipal Airport Philadelphia

Item Info

Item No: pdch00032
Title: Municipal Airport Philadelphia
Historic Street Address: 8000 Essington Avenue
Historic Street Address: Philadelphia International Airport
Media Type: Glass Plate Negatives
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Notes:

Image taken by Philadelphia Evening Bulletin photographer Charles T. Higgins

This December 1935 image shows an airplane hangar and bi-plane at Philadelphia Municipal Airport, located in southwest Philadelphia on land which ultimately became Philadelphia International Airport. 

In 1925, the City provided a 125-acre area, referred to as Philadelphia Municipal Airport, for use as an aviation training site for the Pennsylvania National Guard.  In 1930, Hog Island, an adjoining 1000-acre site, was purchased, to expand the airport for commercial flights.  However, the Great Depression delayed construction of a terminal building and landing field until 1937, and the official opening of Philadelphia Municipal Airport was in 1940.  In 1945, when transatlantic service began at the airport, it was renamed Philadelphia International Airport.

Notes on the negative's envelope read:  "Municipal Airport, Phila.; Dec. 1935"


Creation Year: 1935
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Latitude:39.874396
Geocode Longitude:-75.242423

Creator Name: Higgins, Charles - Photographer