Item No: pdch00069
Title: St. Clement's Episcopal Church
Historic Street Address:
2013 Appletree Street
Glass Plate Negatives
Print and Picture Collection
Image taken by Philadelphia Evening Bulletin photographer Charles T. Higgins. Notes on the negative's envelope read: "St. Clement's Episcopal Church to Be Moved Forty Feet, June 1928"
Rather than demolish historic St. Clement's Episcopal Church, to accommodate the widening of 20th Street (as the Benjamin Franklin Parkway development project demanded), the church officials agreed to have St. Clement's moved the necessary 40 feet to the west. This June 1928 photograph shows an exterior view of the bell tower of the church (corner of 20th and Cherry Sts.), before the move. After a great deal of planning and preparation, the amazing feat of engineering was accomplished in July 1929, and the 19th century church was successfully moved 40 feet back from 20th Street.
Higgins, Charles - Photographer