Item No: pdch00118
Title: Free library of Philadelphia, central branch
Historic Street Address:
1901 Vine Street
Glass Plate Negatives
Print and Picture Collection
Image taken by Philadelphia Evening Bulletin photographer Charles T. Higgins. Notes on the negative's envelope read: "Free Library of Philadelphia, Central Branch, 1926"
This late 1926 image shows the bronze statue of Dr. William Pepper, given pride of place on the landing of the grand staircase in the lobby of the Parkway Central branch of the Free Library of Philadelphia. Dr. Pepper was the founder of the Free Library in 1891, but the Parkway Central branch was under construction from 1917-1927 (after Pepper's death in 1898). The statue is an 1899 casting of the 1896 statue by sculptor Karl Bitter (the original is at the University of Pennsylvania).
Higgins, Charles - Photographer