Item No: pdch00170
Title: Air shot Independence Mall in color
Historic Street Address:
520 Chestnut Street (Independence Hall)
Print and Picture Collection
Construction activities for Independence Mall began in 1947, to include the three blocks north of Independence Hall (seen at the bottom of this image), bound by 5th and 6th Streets. The Mall officially opened to the public in 1956, work having been completed on Block One (Chestnut to Market Streets) and the first third of Block Two (Market to Arch Streets). This 1965 aerial view shows active construction underway for the remaining two-thirds of Block Two; and the buildings are already cleared from Block Three (Arch to Race Streets), in advance of the final phase of the project. The National Park Service eventually took ownership and operation of the completed Mall in 1974. The area’s formal name is Independence National Historical Park (INHP), but it is still most often referred to as Independence Mall.
Higgins, Charles - Photographer