Aerials municipal stadium portion of naval baseHistorical Images of Philadelphia Charles Higgins Negatives
Historic Street Address: 3601 S Broad Street
Historic Street Address: Broad Street & Pattison Avenue
Media Type: Photographic Negatives
Source: Print and Picture Collection
Image taken by Philadelphia Evening Bulletin photographer Charles T. Higgins. Notes on the negative's envelope read: "May 28, 1953; aerials, Municipal Stadium, portion of Naval Base"
This 1953 image shows the Philadelphia Municipal Stadium (later named John F. Kennedy Stadium), designed by architectural firm Simon & Simon. The stadium operated as a sports and concert venue from 1926-1992. The stadium hosted a broad range of sports and concerts, but its most widely-known use was as "neutral" territory for 41 annual Army-Navy football games, between 1936-1979.
Located at the far south end of Broad Street, and next to the Philadelphia Naval Base, its horseshoe design was classic for the 1920s. Its seating capacity was in excess of 102,000 people. The stadium was deemed structurally unsafe and demolished in 1992.
Geocode Latitude: Geocode Longitude:-75.171972
Creator Name: Higgins, Charles - Photographer