Item No: pdcc00020
Title: Schuylkill [graphic] / A. De Chastelain, lith.
Print and Picture Collection
Free Library of Philadelphia: Castner 21:90
Lancaster-Schuylkill Bridge (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Landscape view showing the Market Street Permanent Bridge commissioned by the Schuylkill Bridge Company and completed in 1805 after the designs of engineer Timothy Palmer. The William Ellis Tucker porcelain factory (est. 1826) in the old water works pumping station (Chestnut and 21st Street) stands in the foreground. A lumber yard, pairs of trees, and pastureland are visible across from the factory. Also shows Paul Beck's Shot Tower and sailing vessels on the river in the background. Market Street Permanent Bridge was redesigned in 1850 by the Pennsylvania Railroad and destroyed by fire in 1875.
Market Street Permanent Bridge (Philadelphia, Pa.)
Tucker, William Ellis.
See Kathleen Foster's Captain Watsons' travels in America" The sketchbooks and diary of Joshua Rowley Watson, 1772-1818 (Philadelphia: University of Pennsylvania Press, 1997), plate 7 for possible original study for print.
De Chastelain, A. - Artist
Palmer, Timothy, 1751-1821 - Architect