Item No: pdcc00030
Title: Fountain Park, Falls of Schuylkill, Philada. [graphic] / On stone by J. Queen;
Print and Picture Collection
Accompanied by clipping "Extract of a Letter from one of the editors of New York Mirror, dated: Philadelphia, September 1845." Describes in detail the architecture, grounds, and surrounding area of the estate, including the "stocked deer park, marble statues, flower garden, gardner's cottage ornee, &c &c"; "the couple of lakes from one of which the summer stock of spring water ice is gathered, while the other by means of pipes is conveyed to the mansion, stables, bath and green houses"; and the "facilities of access to and from the city" as a result of the Norristown and Philadelphia Rail Road, Ridge Turnpike, and Schuylkill.
Fountain Park (Philadelphia, Pa. : Estate)
Free Library of Philadelphia: Castner 31:21
Ridge Turnpike (Philadelphia, Pa.)
View showing the estate of the Philadelphia newspaper proprietor, Andrew McMakin, that was located south of Laurel Hill on the Ridge Turnpike at East Falls. Trees partially obscure the main residence that is flanked by outbuildings that were used as an ice-house, bath-house and hot-house. A fountain adorns the lawn on which two deer graze. In the foreground, two men travel on horseback and a third walks with a cane. They pass on the dirt road in front of the stone wall surrounding the property. The estate was originally built for Governor Thomas Mifflin in the 18th century and was l ater acquired by Fairmount Park. The residence was removed.
Queen, James Fuller, 1820 or 1821-1886 - Artist
Wagner & M'Guigan - Printer
Wagner & M'Guigan - Publisher