Item No: pdcc00005
Title: South view of the old Landreth nurseries, Philadelphia. [graphic].
Historic Street Address:
Twenty-second and Federal streets
Print and Picture Collection
Free Library of Philadelphia: Castner 14:87
View showing the Philadelphia nursery of David Landreth founded in 1784 at Twenty-second and Federal streets. The nursery includes rows and a cluster of greenhouses, foot paths, trees, shrubbery, and a lawn lined with potted plants. A water pump stands at the center of the property at which men and women stroll the paths. View also includes the Landreth residence shrouded by trees in the left of the image. The nursery, one of the earliest seed houses established in America, relocated to Bristol, Pa. in 1847. The business introduced a variety of flowers, fruits and vegetables, including zinnias, white potatoes, and tomatoes, to the country.
Hoffy, Alfred M., approximately 1790- - Lithographer