Item No: pdcp00019
Title: Chestnut Strasse, Sudwetseite der 4th.= Chestnut Street, west of Fourth. [graphic].
Print and Picture Collection
Free Library of Philadelphia: Philadelphiana - Streets - Chestnut - 4th-5th
Schnable & Finkelday operated as a partnership 1858-1860 following the departure of partner Willliam Demme in 1857.
Street scene showing the south side of Chestnut Street between 4th and 5th Streets depicting two bank buildings designed by Philadelphia architect William Strickland: the Philadelphia Bank building (built 1836) and the custom house (formerly the Second Bank of the U.S., built 1818-24). Philadelphia Bank building (400-408 Chestnut, after renumbering) houses and includes signage for the Western Bank and Girard Life & Trust Company, as well as H.S. & C. Ogden, tailors; Kelly & Bright, stationers; Edward Borheck, optician; Martin Leans, engraver; Wilcox & Delleker, custom house brokers; and Wm. H. Patton, dealer in decorative wall papers. Street scene includes a vendor, two coaches, a man on horseback, and pedestrians.
Title and imprint variant of one in the series "Panorama of Philadelphia" published 1856 by Schnabel, Finkelday & Demme.
Collins & Autenrieth - Artist
Schnabel & Finkeldey - Printer
Schnabel & Finkeldey - Publisher
Strickland, William, 1788-1854 - Architect