Item No: pdcc00007
Title: Alexander Young, grain distiller, South Street, above Fourth, Phila. [graphic].
Historic Street Address:
400 block of South Street
Print and Picture Collection
Free Library of Philadelphia: Castner 26:1A
Tradecard showing the "South Street Grain Distillery," formerly the Southwark Theatre (closed in 1817) and adjacent "Malt House" on the 400 block of South Street. A fenced courtyard separates the processing plants in front of which horse-drawn carts are lined. The vehicles, attended by drivers, arrive for and receive deliveries. Barrels line the sidewalk in front of the distillery and a laborer is visible at the third-floor receiving entrance of the building. Also shows pedestrian and street traffic, including men conversing, ladies strolling, and a man on horseback.The distillery building was removed circa 1908. Young & Co., founded by Alexander Young and John Maitland in 1823, was known for the Y.P.M. brand of rye whiskey.
Traubel, M. H. (Morris H.), 1820-1897 - Printer
Traubel, M. H. (Morris H.), 1820-1897 - Publisher