Item No: pdcc00028
Title: Swarthmore College [graphic].
Print and Picture Collection
Free Library of Philadelphia: Castner 27A:41
View showing the original building, later named Parrish Hall, of the college founded by Hicksite Quakers in 1860 and opened in 1869. In the foreground, a dirt road runs past the college. Parrish Hall, named for first president Edward Parrish, contained a library, geological museum, classrooms, a chemical laboratory, parlors, dining-room, kitchen, and student rooms. The cornerstone was laid 1866 and the building completed after the designs of Addison Hutton.
Moran, Thomas, 1837-1926 - Artist
McGuigan, James, approximately 1819- - Printer
McGuigan, James, approximately 1819- - Publisher
Hutton, Addison, 1834-1916 - Architect