Item No: pdcp00039
Title: Rosengarten & Sons, Manufacturing Chemists, Philadelphia. [graphic]
Print and Picture Collection
Advertisement showing a bird's eye view of the factory complex of several buildings and courtyards originally built 1855 between 18th, Fitzwater, 17th, and Catherine streets. Complex includes the L-shaped building at the corner of Fitzwater and Seventeeth streets that displays the sign "Rosengarten & Sons. Established 1822" near the entrance. The building contained the office, packing rooms, and manufacturing rooms for the firm. Several individuals walk on the sidewalk and horse-drawn carts and wagons travel near the street corner. On the Fitzwater block in front of the complex, which also includes a storage shed, stable, and warehouse for the factory, other wagons and carts are parked. Next to the warehouse, a horse-drawn cart enters a passageway to the complex in which laborers and horse-drawn carts are visible at work. Several of the factory buildings contain smokestacks. Also shows a horse-drawn omnibus traveling near the intersection, surrounding blocks of buildings, and tree tops. Rosengarten & Sons, one of the oldest U.S. chemical manufacturers and a leader in plant alkaloid and bromine pro duction, merged with Powers & Weightman to form Powers, Weightman, Rosengarten Co. in 1905.
Free Library of Philadelphia: Philadelphiana - Factories, etc.
Rosengarten & Sons, Manufacturing Chemists, Philadelphia. [graphic] : Medals awarded, Centennial, Franklin Institute, American ", Maryland ", World’s Fair, N.Y. Manufacturers of sulphate of quinine, sulphate of morphine, nitrate of silver, and other chemicals. / A. Blanc, del.
Blanc, Albert A., 1850-1928 - Artist