Item No: c090070
Title: U.S. Government Building
Additional Title: U.S. Government Building
"Length 480 ft. width 346 ft."
"Ver.Staaten Ausstells. Geb., Pavillon du gouvernment Etas Unis."
Under the authority of an act of Congress passes in 1873, arrangements were ordered to be made for the display of articles and utensils designed to be exhibited by the Executive Departments of the Federal government. The intention originally was to occupy portions of the Exhibition buildings for this purpose, but after consideration it became evident that it would be much better if the display could be made in a building entirely under control of the Board representing the Executive Departments, which was authorized to be appointed under the act. The Departments of War, Navy, Interior and Post-office, with the Agricultural Bureau and the Smithsonian Institute, were to be represented in the exhibition, which, according to the act, was intended to be of “such articles and materials as will, when presented in a collective exhibition, illustrate the functions and administrative faculties of the government in time of peace and its resources as a war-power, and thereby serve to demonstrate the nature of our institutions and their adaptation to the wants of the people.” By an act of Congress, approved March 3, 1875, an appropriation of $505,000 was placed at the disposal of the Board for the arrangement of this exhibition, $150,000 of which might be expended in the erection of a special building for the accommodations of the government collection. This structure stands at the intersection of Belmont and Fountain Avenues, and is in the shape of a cross, the short arms being those upon the north, east and south, whilst the long portion extends to the west. The greatest length of this building is 400 feet, the nave being that long and 100 feet wide. The cross transept placed nearest the eastern end of the building is 100 feet in width and 300 feet in depth. There are attached aisles and sections of 40 x 60 feet, 40 x 200 feet and 20 x 20 feet on each side centre. Where the nave and transept unite, a cupola rises above the rest of the building to the height of 60 feet, surmounted by a lantern. The area occupied by this structure is 83,640 square feet. The building is of wood, with pilasters upon the outside, and is neatly painted in neutral colors, and decorated in the interior. Immediately north of this Hall is a small hospital upon the United States Army plan, modest in appearance, but yet of importance. The architect was James H. Windrim; builders, Aaron Doan & Co. Cost of Main Government Building, $62,000. The style is simple and pleasing to the eye, and from a distance the proportions and outline create a very favorable impression.
1 lithograph; 12 x 22 cm.
Architect: James H. Windrim.
Removed from: Centennial portfolio / Thompson Westcott. Philadelphia : T. Hunter, 1876.
The Building, situated in a grassy field. People strolling in the foreground with cannon and other displays.
Westcott, Thompson. Centennial portfolio.
Thomas Hunter, lithographer.