Item No: c090110
Title: Carriage Exhibition Building
Additional Title: Carriage Exhibition Building
"Kutschen Ausstellung, Exposition des carrosses."
This spacious hall may be considered an annex of the Main Exhibition Building, in which the area was so greatly taken up by fine goods that it was thought that vehicles would not meet with proper attention. The Carriage Building is immediately east of Memorial Hall, and would anywhere else than in the Centennial grounds be considered a large structure. In shape it is a parallelogram, 392 feet long by 277 feet wide. It is constructed of wood sheathed on the outside with corrugated iron. It is of the height of a single story, but from the floor to the roof is 36 feet. A hip-roof rises from the walls, which are 24 feet in height, and in this there are five skylights which run the entire length of the building and furnish ample light to the interior. This necessity is further assisted by a large number of windows, each 14 feet in height, upon the sides of the building. There are 4 large entrances, with offices annexed, and a number of smaller ones. The floor space is 100,000 square feet, and the interior is occupied by specimens of light and heavy coaches, fancy wagons and pleasure-carriages, fashionable vehicles, sleighs, omnibuses and railway-cars sent from Great Britain, Canada, Germany, Austria, Belgium, Italy, France and the United States. The architect was H. J. Schwarzmann.
1 lithograph; 12 x 22 cm.
Architect: H.J. Schwarzmann.
Removed from: Centennial portfolio / Thompson Westcott. Philadelphia : T. Hunter, 1876.
The Building, situated in a landscaped pathway with people strolling in the foreground.
Westcott, Thompson. Centennial portfolio.
Thomas Hunter, lithographer.