Item No: c090170
Title: Pennsylvania Educational Building
Additional Title: Pennsylvania Educational Building
"Pennsylvania Erziehungs Geb., Ecoles de la Pennsylvanie."
Octagonal in shape of the main walls, the lantern and the cupola, the severe mathematical character of the ground plan of the Pennsylvania Educational Building is broken by annexes on the north and south of one story in height, which serve useful purposes and render the appearance of the building more pleasing than it would be if the strict form was adhered to. In diameter this structure is one hundred feet. The annexes are 19 x 44 feet. The unbroken walls of the main building rise to some distance above the foundation, from which point windows extend up to the cornice and throw light into the interior from every side. The central hall is lighted from the lantern in the same manner, and a cupola tasteful in proportion and appearance surmounts the whole. The plan of the building ensures good ventilation by adjustable sashes, and the interior is bright and attractive. The exterior is painted neatly in colors which agree harmoniously even in their contrasts. The building stands north of the Carriage Building, east of Belmont Avenue near the Lansdowne drive, and is not far from the Swedish school-house. The difference between the two is that, whilst the foreign structure shows the manner in which the Swedish children are accommodated at the present time, the Pennsylvania hall does not give any idea of the shape or appearance of the Pennsylvania school-house. It is an exhibition room in which, as in the foreign example, the manner of education is shown in the matters for examination, but the display has not the practical appearance which is attached to the idea of a temple of primary education. Everything connected with the plans of general instruction is here properly shown. The road to knowledge may be followed from the alphabetical card and primer by the stations where spelling-books, grammars, geographies and arithmetical treatises are placed, up to the stopping-places of history, language, science and art. From the Kindergarten to the college the entire course of instruction may be traced, and in every practical necessity the collection is complete. There are maps, drawings, illustrations and all the apparatus of the school, which are arranged with systematic regularity, so that every one disposed to study this most interesting subject will find the method easy. The erection of this building is due to the efforts of the Pennsylvania Teachers’ Institute, and to the great interest and earnestness of Professor J. B. Wickersham, the superintendent of education of the State of Pennsylvania. The Legislature gave $15,000 toward the cost of the building; the Teachers’ Institute subscribed $5000. The latter has fitted up a room in the western end of the building at a cost of over $1000 for meetings and a general reception-room for visitors. The builders were Peters & Burger, of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
1 lithograph; 12 x 22 cm.
Builders: Peters & Burger.
Removed from: Centennial portfolio / Thompson Westcott. Philadelphia : T. Hunter, 1876.
The Building, situated in a landscaped field, with people strolling in the foreground and background.
Westcott, Thompson. Centennial portfolio.
Thomas Hunter, lithographer.