Item No: c090380
Title: Ohio Building
Additional Title: Ohio Building
"Ohio Staats Geb., Pavillon de l'Ohio."
When this structure, on the northside of State Avenue, west of Belmont Avenue, was planned, the intention was to display in a striking manner the character and qualities of the different sorts of stone which are to be found in the State of Ohio. This design has been partially carried out. The first story of the main building is formed of stone of different colors and qualities. The second story of the front and gable is of Dayton stone of a light color, interspersed with limestone. In the upper part of the gable is displayed a shield, on which is carved the arms of the State of Ohio. The glass in the windows is made from ground Massilon stone from a quarry near Ravenna, Ohio. It is fine and clear, and hardly inferior to French plate glass. The other portions of the second story are of wood, and there is attached a wooden pavilion to the north of the main building, intended to exhibit articles from the State of Ohio. The latter is in the modified Gothic villa style, and is 45 feet front by 60 feet in depth. It is to be regretted that this house could not be finished in the manner originally designed. It would have been a handsome ornament to the grounds. The pavilion building is 40 feet in front and 60 feet long. It has a veranda on both sides, the western one supported by a columned porch, and that on the east being without columns. Architects, Heard & Sons, of Cleveland, Ohio; builders, Aaron Doan & Co., of Philadelphia.
1 lithograph; 12 x 22 cm.
Architect: Heard & Sons.
Removed from: Centennial portfolio / Thompson Westcott. Philadelphia : T. Hunter, 1876.
The Building, situated in a grassy field with trees in the background. People stroll in the foreground.
Westcott, Thompson. Centennial portfolio.
Thomas Hunter, lithographer.