Item No: pdcl00019
Title: Front Street, south of Dock
Additional Title: Front Street below Dock Street, 1868
Historic Street Address:
Front & Dock Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"Located just within the limits of the old city, these waterfront houses bear on their top story the iron plates of the Philadelphia Contributionship for the Insurance of Houses from Loss by Fire. Founded 1752 by Benjamin Franklin, this was one of the earliest fire insurance companies in America. It is still in business, occupying quarters built in 1836 on South 4th Street."--OPEP, p. 21.
Row houses facing the Delaware River, including Fitzgerald's Tavern, Our House Lodgings and James Dazley's liquor store. A horsedrawn cart is parked in front of one of the houses.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer