Item No: pdcl00023
Title: Merchant's Exchange Building, 3rd Street at Walnut
Additional Title: Philadelphia Merchant's Exchange, Dock Street
Historic Street Address:
Third and Walnut Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"Designed and built between 1832 and 1834 by William Strickland, this was the first permanent home of the Philadelphia Stock Exchange. Its purpose was to provide a place for local merchants to gather for the barter and sale of goods. It is now part of the Independence National Historic Park complex and, since restoration in the 1950s, has housed the regional office of the National Park
Service. The buildings in the background at the right are seen up close in the next picture."--OPEP, p. 24.
The building at intersection. Street lamps along sidewalk, horse-drawn carriages and wagons on street. Sign on one wagon: "Frankford Road, 4th street". Trolley tracks and trolley on street. View of the early home of the Saturday Evening Post on the right.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.