Item No: pdcl00032
Title: Market Street at the Delaware River Front
Additional Title: Market Street at Delaware River front, circa 1894
Historic Street Address:
Delaware Avenue & Market Street
Print and Picture Collection
"The ferry buildings, the horsecar turn-around and the delivery wagons all indicate the intensity of activity at the waterfront in 1894. Ridgway House, left, was originally a company of grain and flour merchants, a business founded early in the century."--OPEP, p. 33.
View of the street where it meets the Delaware river. Horse-drawn carriages and delivery wagons on the street and parked at curbs; people walking on sidewalks and standing by the street lamp. At the end of the street, entrance with sign: "Rail road ferry to Cape May and Atlantic City." Sign on building on the left: "Ridgway House."
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.