Item No: pdcl00033
Title: Delaware Avenue, north from Market Street
Additional Title: Delaware Avenue, north from Market Street
Historic Street Address:
Delaware Avenue & Market Street
Print and Picture Collection
"The Philadelphia waterfront receded from its original shoreline at Front Street partly because the channel in the Delaware River was deepened to accommodate larger ships. Delaware Avenue was the principal waterfront thoroughfare by the 1890s. Before the Delaware Avenue Bridge was opened in 1926, the ferries to Camden, N.J., across the river, were an important part of the scene."--OPEP, p. 35.
The street with many horse-drawn carts and carriages; people on sidewalks and crossing the street. Stores line west side of road: "Chas. Lawrence, Sail Maker, flags made" and "[...] Rope [...]." Sign post: "Camden Ferry, Pennsylvania, West Jersey, R.R." Ferry terminals line east side of road: "Ferry to Camden," "Ferry to Federal St. Camden," "Baggage Room," and lists of places the ferries stop.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.