Item No: pdcl00042
Title: Market House, 2nd Street at Pine
Additional Title: Market House, 2nd Street at Pine, 1900
Historic Street Address:
Second and Pine Streets
Glass Plate Negatives
Print and Picture Collection
"Often called 'Head House,' this building was constructed in 1804 at the head of the market sheds which extended southward on 2nd Street for a distance of two blocks to South Street. The original sheds dated from 1745. This photograph and the next show the transformation wrought by various late nineteenth-century architectural excrescences which have since been removed. In the 1960s the buildings were restored to their original appearance and designated historical landmarks."--OPEP, p. 45.
The building with tower on the roof; weather vane on tower; clock on side of building. Added overhanging rooves above the sidewalk on either side. Dog in the street; people standing in foreground; a child is looking at the camera.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Edmunds, Franklin Davenport, 1874-1948 - Photographer