Item No: pdcl00046
Title: Spruce Street, west from 4th
Additional Title: Baptist Church, south side of Spruce above 4th Street
Historic Street Address:
4th & Spruce Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"The old houses shown here clustered around the old Spruce Street Baptist Church are characteristic of the early city. The church was sold to a Jewish congregation and its facade remodelled by the renowned architect Thomas U. Walter in 1851. It is now the Society Hill Synagogue."--OPEP, p. 49.
Pictured to the left of the church is the one-time home of Richard Allen, a founder of the African Methodist Episcopal Church and its first bishop.
The south side of Spruce Street, with houses flanking the Spruce Street Baptist Church. Streetcar tracks in the center of the street; street lamps along the sidewalk.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.