Item No: pdcl00055
Title: Physick residence, 4th Street at Delancey
Additional Title: Dr. P.S. Physick residence, east side of 4th below Spruce Street
Historic Street Address:
Fourth and Delancey Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"A short distance south of the Wistar house at Pine Street is the Hill-McCall-Randolph-Physick house, built in 1786 by Henry Hill, famous importer of Madeira wine. The fourth resident, Philip Syng Physick (1768-1837), member of the faculty of the University of Pennsylvania and often called the 'father of American surgery', occupied the house from 1817 until his death. Restored to its original Colonial elegance, it is now a museum."--OPEP, p. .
The house, with trees along the sidewalk. Trolley tracks on street.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.