Item No: pdcl00058
Title: Congress Hall, the State House and Old City Hall, Chestnut Street at 6th, c. 1855
Additional Title: Congress Hall, the State House and old City Hall, Chestnut Street at 6th, circa 1855
Historic Street Address:
Sixth and Chestnut Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"In the foreground of this photograph is Congress Hall. It was built in 1787-1789 as the county court house, but was the meeting place of congress when Philadelphia was the capital of the United States. Next to the left is the State House, begun in 1732 and completed in 1756. It served as the meeting place for the Provincial Assembly, and was the scene of many important events of the Revolution, among them Washington's appointment as general and the adoption of the Declaration of Independence. Old City Hall, barely visible in this picture, was built 1790-1791, and while the Federal government met in Philadelphia, the Supreme Court sat here. The buildings continued to be used by the city government until 1911, when they became a National Historic Site."--OPEP, p. 63.
Congress Hall on the corner, with the State House and Old City Hall also visible. Trees line the sidewalk and a street lamp is on the corner.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.