Item No: pdcl00065
Title: Mercantile Library, 5th Street at Library, southeast corner
Additional Title: Mercantile Library, 5th Street at Library, southeast corner
Historic Street Address:
Fifth and Library Street
Print and Picture Collection
"Across 5th Street from the eastern side of Independence Square stood three landmarks: right to left, the Philadelphia Dispensary, the Mercantile Library and Franklin's Library Company. The Mercantile Library was built in 1845, having been organized in 1817 for the use of students of various mercantile enterprises in Philadelphia. The building was demolished in 1925, and its contents moved to the Franklin Building on 10th Street. The library was ultimately absorbed by the Free Library."--OPEP, p. 68.
The Library with large columns; at top: "Mercantile Library." Buildings on either side; at top of one on right:
"Philadelphia Dispensary, foun[ded MDCCLXXXVI]." Horse-drawn carriages parked across street; streetcar tracks run along street; fence and branches of trees visible on left.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.