Item No: pdcl00066
Title: Philadelphia Dispensary, 5th Street
Additional Title: Philadelphia Dispensary, 5th Street
Print and Picture Collection
"The Philadelphia Dispensary, on 5th Street next to the Mercantile Library (on the left of this picture), was a charitable institution, the oldest of its kind in the United States. It was
established in 1786, with a clinic and an outpatient service whose purpose was to minister to the sick and poor in their homes. The building shown here, however, was not occupied until 1801. It was demolished in 1922."--OPEP, p. 70.
The building with a man standing on front steps. In the street is a carriage with two horses. Sign on building: "Philadelphia Dispensary, founded MDCCLXXXVI".
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Rau, William Herman, 1855-1920 - Photographer