Item No: pdcl00067
Title: Market Terminus, Market Street at Front
Additional Title: Market Street at Front
Historic Street Address:
Front and Market Streets
Print and Picture Collection
"Market Street, originally High Street, was the location of the early markets where fresh produce was brought for sale to city residents. The earliest market shed was built in 1683 near the
waterfront with access to the ferries from western New Jersey, the chief source of farm products at that time. By the 1850s sheds had been built in Market Street as far west as 18th Street. The terminus shown here was built in 1822. It contained a clock, a bell to signal the opening and closing of business, and sometimes a stall for the market clerk who functioned as a general manager for the sheds."--OPEP, p. 70.
For commercial image use please contact Bridgeman Art, http://www.bridgemanart.com/
The building with barrels and a wagon in front. Surrounding the market are several commercial buildings, including the Star Clothing Store, Hunt & Isaacs' Wholesale and Retail Clothing Store, and W.S. Hansell & Son. Signs on
stores: "Clothing Store" ; "The
Sta[r]" ; "Hunt & Isaacs' ... clothing store" ; "Flour, feed, grain..." ;
"W.S. Hansell & Son..."
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.
Richards and Betts