Item No: pdcl00077
Title: First United States Mint, 39 North 7th Street
Additional Title: Building used for U.S. Mint, east side of 7th Street, above Arch, 1861
Historic Street Address:
Seventh Street, North, 39
Print and Picture Collection
"Built in 1792 under the supervision of George Washington, this was the first property owned by the government of the United States. David Rittenhouse was the first director. Superseded in 1833 by a newer building at what is now Penn Square (see No. 138), the mint was later moved to 16th and Spring Garden Streets, and is now in quarters opened in 1969 at 5th and Arch Streets. Caldwell's store now stands on the site of the second mint."--OPEP, p. 82.
Three row houses with businesses on the first floor, two of which are Cumming & Brodic, Plumbers and Metalic [sic] Roofers and Joseph Sellers, Silver Plater. A man is standing in front, leaning against the wall.
Reprinted in: Old Philadelphia in early photographs, 1839-1914/edited by Robert F. Looney. New York: Dover Publications, c1976.